Monday, October 8, 2012

October 8th 2012

First a little bit about me:
I am an interdisciplinary artist concentrating on painting, photography, and mixed-media.  At times my work will engage all areas as the art evolves during the process.  At this point I am painting in oils and as each composition will usually begin with a concept or idea and a photo shoot, this has resulted in many images to work with in the studio.  I find inspiration in my surroundings and in nature and go on walks and wanderings to find subject matter.  Aside from flora and fauna I am always drawn to the seaside and seagoing vessels of all sizes.  Recently I have been concentrating on two series of work:  “West Coast Fishing Boats” and “Poppies” and will soon begin a third series of “Rural Structures”.
Bio:
I have painted and created art all my life taking workshops, classes and studying from books and sometimes making it up.   In 1980 I studied fine art at St. Lawrence College in Kingston, Ontario for one year with an interest in Printmaking.  Over the years I have taken many classes including, quilting, stained glass, printmaking and much more – always learning and honing my skills.  In 2004 I was able to return to formal fine art instruction and graduated from Victoria College of Art and Design in 2008 with a major in Painting and Photography.  I received an award of merit during my first year at the college.   Prior to graduation, I attended the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design in Halifax for one year, studying mixed media drawing and photography.  My work has been shown in the 2008 VCAD Grad Show at the Winchester Gallery in Victoria, BC and at the 2008 and 2012 Sidney Fine Art Shows in Sidney, BC.   I teach workshops in mixed media-collage and in fiber art/surface design.
Here is one of my recent paintings in my series on Poppies:  untitled as yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment